You never forget your first…

Yes, it’s a cliche but it’s so true. Any time you experience something for the first time, whether its a first kiss, driving a new car, the first day at a new job or attending your first World Cup match, you hope that it is a moment in time you will remember for the rest of your life. Today I attended the Iran vs. Morocco match in St. Petersburg Stadium. In a building that resembles an alien space craft and cost roughly $1 billion to build, I watched my first World Cup game with 65,000 other soccer fans. It was by no means the best game I have ever seen but it is certainly one I won’t forget. It was a sloppy and slow game and featured more fouls than shots on goal as well as a near bench clearing brawl. Morocco entered the game as the clear favorite but after weathering a heavy Moroccan onslaught in the first half, Iran was able to dictate the 2nd half pace of play and secured the 1-0 victory off a Moroccan own goal in the final minute of extra time. While the result was not what I expected, everything else lived up to my expectations. I bought this ticket a few months back because I thought it would provide me with a cultural experience unlike anything I’ve encountered thus far.  From the crowds outside the stadium singing and dancing to the raucous and endless cheering during the game to the crowd of Iranian fans celebrating on top of a statue outside the stadium, it was a moment in life I will never forget.  Which leads me to reflect on this thought for the day:  in order for any of us to get the most out of this life, we should experience as many firsts as we possbly can.

The presentation of the team flags and colors prior to kickoff.

Iranian fans celebrate their improbable victory over Morocco.

A view of St. Petersburg stadium.

Published on

About Andrew Szunyog

I am the Assistant Coach for the GW Men's Golf Team and a 2nd year MBA Candidate with concentrations in Sports Management. I am originally from Central Florida and prior to moving to D.C., I lived in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

2 thoughts on “You never forget your first…

1. Katy Curran Casey

WOW! What a great blog entry, Andrew! The photographs and vivid descriptions of your World Cup in Russia thus far are terrific.

I've never been to Russia, but my brother-in-law owned a trucking company in Moscow in the early 2000's, so I've heard a lot of stories about the culture, etc. But the world and politics have certainly changed drastically since then!

Out of curiosity, what teams are you and your fellow classmates rooting for since the US team did not qualify?

You're an excellent writer - please post more about your once-in-a-lifetime trip while you are there!!!!

Katy C. - Houston, TX

P.S. After reading your background bio, it left me wondering when you experienced your FIRST hole-in-one?! LOL.

Reply
  2. Andrew Szunyog

Thank you for the support and kind words Katy! Thus far in my life I have yet to register a hole in one. My mom is the only one in my family with a hole in one, lol. I am cheering for Mexico to do well since the US is not playing. I plan to wrap up the blogs with a full report of the experience, likes and dislikes, surprises and disappointments and etc. Thank you for reading!

- Andrew

Reply