No three stadiums are alike (Series Post 1 of 3)…

Three games down and zero games to go. It’s sad to say but my live game experiences for the 2018 World Cup have come to an end and I’d like to use this time to reflect on my experiences in the three stadiums in which I have attended: St. Petersburg Stadium in St. Petersburg, and Luzhniki and Spartak Stadiums in Moscow.
St. Petersburg Stadium - Morocco v. Iran, June 15, 2018. The aesthetic architecture of this stadium is out of this world, quite literally. The stadium itself looks like a space ship landed right on Krestovsky Island. As you walk through the gates you almost expect Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith to greet you as if you are on the set of Men in Black. Costing nearly a $1 Billion USD to construct, no expense was spared in providing a breath-taking visual experience. However, once inside the exterior, it is clear not much thought, or money, was put into the internal layout as you make your way to your seat. It was not easy to move around as there are many different corridors and blind corners that limit pedestrian walkways and open air movement. My seat for the game was for a lack of better terms, in the nosebleeds, but my view was perfect and offered all the necessary sight lines to enjoy the game. However, my fellow fans just 2 sections over had to navigate their eye sight around one of the massive television boards that didn’t necessarily block their view but certainly didn’t add to it.
As for the rest of the stadium experience, the concessions were below average and signage directing you to your seat and bathrooms were adequate.  In my opinion, the stadium misses out on a lot of opportunities for fan engagement.  It’s quite possible that the venue was not fully completed before the start of the World Cup.  Either way, it would have been pleasing to see FIFA corporate sponsorship branding, national team logos and colors or images symbolic of the St. Petersburg or Russia along the plentiful white walls escorting you throughout the space.  Given the stadium has a max capacity of 67,000, it has the potential to be one of the best in Europe and my hope is that if they have the time, the city will opt to finalize the stadium for its home team, FC Zenit St. Petersburg.
Exterior of St. Petersburg Stadium
A view from the cheap seats.
A visual of St. Petersburg at near full capacity.
Published on

About Andrew Szunyog

I am the Assistant Coach for the GW Men's Golf Team and a 2nd year MBA Candidate with concentrations in Sports Management. I am originally from Central Florida and prior to moving to D.C., I lived in Albuquerque, New Mexico.